DUE TO THE PANDEMIC LOCKDOWN ALL CLASSES HAVE HAD TO BE POSTPONED UNTIL LATER IN THE YEAR.
CHECK BACK REGULARLY TO FIND OUT WHEN I WILL BE AVAILABLE.
LEARN GLASS FUSING AND KILN FORMING IN MY STUDIO.
I have been a working designer for 30+ years and a glass worker for 12 years so I can teach you everything you need to know to start your own glass-forming journey with practical instruction in my own studio, covering all aspects of;
- Studio health and safety.
- Types of glass used.
- Cutting and breaking glass.
- Cleaning & preparing glass.
- Foil & wire 'inclusions' and enamel pigments.
- Assembling pieces for kiln firing.
- Using fibre paper for 'kiln carving'.
- Templates for cutting and powders.
- Making and using glass 'frit'.
- Kiln basics & firing schedules.
- Preparing kiln shelves and loading the kiln.
- Setting a 'ramp & hold' kiln firing.
- Types of firing; full, tack and polish.
- Preparing slumping moulds for use.
- Final finishing and 'coldworking'.
A printed introduction to terms and techniques is provided for students and printed materials, such as firing schedules, are also be provided to take away.
* A full day's tuition is 09.30am to 4.00pm; two, three-hour sessions plus a 30 minute lunch break.
* Bring a packed lunch. Drinks and refreshments will be available throughout the day.
* Free off street parking.
* No previous glass handling experience is required.
* Protective equipment, tools, raw materials and printed course notes are all provided.
* Email advice is available to students after attending.
* During the course you will create 4 drinks coasters, one hanging light-catcher and one small slumped piece
(a bowl or wavy) using coloured glass, copper foil and food-safe glass enamels.
* Student work will be fired overnight and available to collect from the gallery in Bude.
* Completed work can also be posted to you at extra cost.
* Because glass-working uses sharp implements and hot equipment tuition is restricted to over 18's.
* Because the studio is through a narrow gate and up five steps I cannot accomodate disabled persons or
wheelchair users, due to difficulties in evacuation and health & safety compliance.
Tuition is designed around the individual's needs. Basic cost is £150.00 per person, per day.
Final cost will be determined after consultation with students.